Friday 20 March 2009

Embryonic Tail








I have had a couple of meetings with sculptor and prosthetics artist Satinder Chumber, we will be working together on early stages of the project. I am commissioning him to create prosthetics and make up for a series of images which will form source material for the work.

The images above are from one of his books, studying embryogenesis from first cleavage to birth. I was drawn to the quality of the skin in the images, its translucence and golden hue. The images look like models, there is something otherworldly about them, but they are actual images.

Satinder is going to make me a prosthetic tail, I have been looking at human vestigial tails and other evolutionary by-products - possible mutations of the human form caused by latency or genetic abnormality. Things that get left behind.