Monday 7 September 2009

Space to Fill (Dance City Lab Space Day 1)

Dance City's Dance Lab space is vast, the first feelings on arriving were of apprehension, what was I doing here in this expanse, how would I fill it? I felt small, isolated, slightly disoriented.

I wanted to explore balance, movement, losing inhibitions and gaining awareness of my body. I met with Fiona Wright several times before taking on this opportunity. Fiona is an artist with a background in dance and movement, making live art works which draw from these disciplines. Something I am keen to explore for a new piece of video work, developing out of the Mutations research.

Fiona gave me some starting points, exercises to get me in touch with my body, to feel it. I started with some of these.

I decided to document the process with video and to write and draw, to take time out, separate from the usual pressures.

moving
heavy head
lead
bursting ribs
tearing paper

tracing thoughts
mindful
consumed

arms - thunder clouds
feet - broken glass
heart - beating

Hands are a focus, a way into my body, a place to fully connect with bone, muscle, blood and skin. opening and closing brings me back. Tight fist, nails pushing, pressure, release, allow to breathe.