Friday 6 February 2009

Base Elements

I have been selected by Allenheads Contemporary Arts (ACA) for one of their Base Elements residencies. I will be continuing with my current line of enquiry, exploring connections between symbolic languages and imagery of science, mythology and spirituality.

During the residency I will be pursuing existing collaborations with scientists in the field of Virology at the Medical Research Council's virology Unit in Glasgow and spending time developing ideas for new work in Allenheads. Following an initial meeting with Alan Smith and Helen Ratcliffe (founders of ACA) I am thinking of exploring the mining history of the surrounding landscape at Allenheads, in particular looking at the geometric crystalline structure of minerals mined in the area. I will visit nearby Killhope Lead Mining Museum which is home to the National collection of Spar Boxes, displays created by the miners to display Fluorspar and other minerals unearthed as the commercial byproducts (tailings) of lead mining.