Monday 16 August 2010

Memory Portrait

After a busy year working on the Mutations project I feel able to think about new work. During the project I began working with movement, which has opened up new ways of considering the body. With this new focus I want to go re-visit a work I completed several years ago working with my Grandfather, who at 79 is a practicing 3rd Dan, Black Belt in Karate. The work entitled The Rules of Engagement (see below) created a portrait, not only of the individual and the actions but of memory The work, filmed from a static camera documented 11 Wadō-ryū style katas - fighting dances with an invisible opponent.

The practice of the kata and Karate can be viewed as a strive for perfection, for a harmony of body and mind, the attainment of which can only be achieved through repetition. Repetition encodes the action in the body and muscle, making it reflex, making it instinct.

I am interested in exploring proprioception and kinesthetics, the memory of my body, muscle and genes. I am going to work with my Grandfather again, we share genes, will this effect the way we work together? I have asked him to teach me to perform kata. I will attempt to learn from observation, mirroring his actions, perhaps we will have to re-think? I will be attempting to run before I can walk, obviously.