Wednesday 1 September 2010

'The Rules of Engagement' images/early ideas for new work






These images were captured during the production of the video piece The Rules of Engagement (2006), working with my grandfather at the Waygood Gallery and Studios in Newcastle upon Tyne. I love the concentration, focus and the feeling of strength that the images convey. The experience of working with my grandfather to make the piece was amazing - his total commitment to the performance and the art was really inspiring.

Early ideas/starting points for work

I particularly like the level of detail in the skin, which is missing in the video work. I hope to pick up on this a bit more on the new work I am about to begin using HD to shoot. I also hope to be able to emphasise the precision of the movement and the focus and the concentration using slow motion cameras.

I am interested in exploring the use of a fragmented image, focusing the camera on specific parts of our bodies - two rooms - as they move, reflecting one another - providing the viewer with snippets of visual information - inviting them to fill in the gaps - the closure principle. I am also interested in exploring after image, ghosts (phantoms), distorted reflections, creating Rorschach-esque patterns with our divided bodies.