Thursday 4 December 2008

Fear of the Unknown

At this point I know very little about viruses - I want to make this clear - if I'm a little bit off the mark scientifically speaking please bear this in mind. However, based on what little I do know - have read in newspapers articles, in New Scientist or the heavy books I have bought but not yet managed to fully get into - I find them fascinating. I am not sure where this fascination comes from, perhaps they spark an interest because of the inherent duality in their nature - with potentially destructive capabilities polarised by an innate beauty and possible role as healers in gene therapy. Perhaps because of the debate as to whether or not viruses should be classified as living organisms. This uncertainty in itself is fascinating and brings up a lot of questions about existence and belief. Perhaps it is simpler than this, perhaps it is a fear of the unknown. Having to place belief in science that there is another world all around us existing out of sight, a world of highly ordered, exquisitely symmetrical organisms, deadly in their simplicity. If viruses are the greatest threat to humankind in the 21st century surely we should know our enemy?

I will be working with structural biologist Dr David Bhella at the Medical Research Council's Virology Unit in Glasgow and with the Glasgow Science Centre during this initial 2-week period starting on the 8th December. This 2-week period has been funded by the Medical Research Council.