Monday 8 December 2008

Orientation

The first day in the unit left my head full without any room to process...

Preempting my arrival David circulated an email to each of the research areas within the unit to schedule first contact... Making sure everyone knew who I was and what I was up to meant that my first few days were going to be quite hectic.

There is an element of apprehension involved in meeting someone for the first time. The expectation of a necessary period of time dedicated to developing of a shared language. I find this process at the beginning of a new project very interesting, like planting seeds, there is a very particular excitement about the possibility of growth - a temporary clarity can emerge. However, this clarity brings with it the knowledge that it will probably be lost and found again many times along the way before germination.